Friday, July 1, 2011

Turf Update

Sometimes I forget this is a "Turf Page" with all the other things we have going on.  Sometimes the turf is taken for granted or at least, does not seem too interesting.  All areas are growing pretty good right now, and no word is the good word.

Greens
It didn't take very long to get the greens back up to speed once our roller was back in action.  Within two days, we gained a foot of distance and now we are rolling a consistent 10.5 on the stimp meter.  We are using some light verticutting with our groomer attachments on a bi-weekly basis and we follow that practice with a very light topdressing.  We hope to continue this work regardless of summer heat.  You can see the light dusting of sand between grass blades in the second picture.



Fairways



I just finished spraying out some growth regulator, wetting agent, iron sulfate, and a nice product called Terreplex.  The fairways are very green and they are taking water pretty well.  The turf is fairly dense, but they don't look too tight because of the elevated height of cut at 5/8 inch.  I would prefer we mow at .400 inches, but for now, we will remain a little higher.  I will be conducting a test run of a shorter height on #16 fairway recording the difference in ball roll for one height of cut versus the other.  All golfers will be encouraged to provide feedback on the playability of different heights and we will follow the direction of the majority.

Blog Update
Sorry for the lack of posts recently.  When Rob left, I not only lost a very good assistant, I also lost my spray tech.  I've assumed those responsibilities for the time being which isn't so bad, I've always liked spraying.  However, something has to give and so far, it's the blog that suffers.  My email still works and I check it many times a day whether I'm spraying or not.  Don't hesitate to shoot me a question if you have something on your mind.

I hope everyone enjoys a patriotic weekend in the best country in the world.  We have a lot to be thankful for and only a tiny portion involves golf, grass, or stimp meters.  Happy Fourth of July!!

0 comments:


Followers