Thursday, November 4, 2010

The USGA Green Section Record

I have a hard time keeping my desk clean because of bills, paperwork, and most of all, magazines.  I must get 10 to 15 turf related publications each month and I usually do not find the time to read more than a couple articles.  There is one that I look forward to, and have since college when I would grab a copy outside of the Turf Science office at Purdue.  If you read the title, you already know that I'm speaking of the USGA Green Section Record.

Just a few months ago, the USGA sent out a notice that they would discontinue printing the Record and begin to offer it online.  I was very disappointed because I knew I'd forget to check the website and would no longer have the luxury of holding the magazine in my hand and taking it where I please.  They proved me wrong very quickly.  Instead of a size constrained paper edition that only arrives monthly, they've gone to weekly email updates with more content and an updated, professional look.  The new format includes regional updates from around the country, a searchable archive of past issues, links to webcasts, and very interesting stories.  For example, the October 12 issue included a story about Superintendent Paul Chojnacky and the crew at Pasatiempo Golf Club in Santa Cruz, California using goats to clear vegetation on the severe slopes of the golf course.  Everyone should know about the work of great courses and great superintendents like Paul who is solving a problem in a cost-effective and environmentally friendly manner.

I encourage all of you to sign up to receive the USGA Green Section Record.  It does not cost a penny and it will not clog up your inbox with ads and solicitations.  Just go to the first link on this post, scroll to the bottom and click on the icon.  No personal information is needed, just your email.  Enjoy.

0 comments:


Followers