Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Golf Industry Show

This week I am in San Diego for the annual Golf Course Industry Show for a few days of seminars and a massive trade show. This event is a perfect opportunity to discover new tools and information for the continued improvement of Stockton GCC. Every year I am blown away by the professionalism and dedication of the men and women that make up this industry. Course owners, golf course architects, general managers, superintendents, turf scientists, and students all come together to learn from each other for the good of the game of golf.

This year I participated in seminars that dealt with landscape maintenance, budget techniques and communication, and recent course maintenance research. From these classes I've developed action plans to implement in our current programs. Upon returning to the course, I share the knowledge I've gained with our department heads and Green Committee. I also network with as many superintendents, professors, and company representatives to build up a database of information based on experience in the field. I can't tell you how many times I've emailed or called a 'turf professional' that I've met at the show for some direction on a topic that they know better than I do. These contacts are my greatest resource and I use them on a daily basis.

Right now I need to head off to the California Hospitality Event to do some more networking and to help out at check-in with my fellow members of the California GCSA Board of Directors.
I look forward to sharing my experience at this show in more detail as soon as I get back.

0 comments:


Followers